MAD Mumblings MAD Mumblings
Extending MAD Magazine's presence on the World Wide Web.

Home :: Forum :: Gallery :: FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register

New MAD title to launch November & lots of new stuff !!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MADdict
MAD Addict

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:17 am    Post subject: New MAD title to launch November & lots of new stuff !! Reply with quote

A bit of an exciting time ahead, with a new magazine (aimed at 6-11 year olds) , new Spy vs Spy character & more. The following are copy & pasted:

MAD Magazine, America's best-selling humor magazine is intensifying its already aggressive plan to take over the universe with the launch of two new spin-off magazines (MADKIDS and MAD Classics) and a series of nationwide promotions for the MAD brand.

Continuing its resurgence as a cultural tastemaker and publishing powerhouse, MAD Magazine is thriving with advertising revenues up 42% this year vs. 2004, its wildly inventive Mountain Dew campaign featuring its legendary Spy vs. Spy characters and recent brand building opportunities that include a NASCAR Racing program and the Take 2 Games Spy. Vs. Spy Xbox game. The magazine was recently named as one of the nation's top 50 by the Chicago Tribune, and Hilary Clinton's comparison of the President to one Alfred E. Neuman drew national headlines this month.

"It's an exciting time for us," said MAD Magazine Editor John Ficarra. "And we're excited about all the excitement. Yes, I think it would be fair to say that we're experiencing an unusually high level of excitation. It's exciting."

"MAD's more than a magazine - it's an attitude, an offbeat way of looking at the world," added Associate Publisher David McKillips.

Details of MAD Magazine's mad, mad plans include:

Two new magazines:

* MAD Classics. This month, MAD Magazine released the first issue of MAD Classics, a 100-page full color magazine to be published 8 times a year. MAD Classics targets avid fans who just can't get enough of MAD's parodies and satire, with theme issues full of MAD's "Best of the Worst." MAD Classics #1, on sale now, features a Harry Potter cover and War of the World's Outtakes.

* MADKIDS. This November, MAD launches MADKIDS, a new magazine for 6 - 11 years olds. With an initial rate base of 200,000, MADKIDS will move to a quarterly schedule in 2006 and will feature both age-appropriate classic MAD MAGAZINE parodies as well as fresh, new content (including Spy vs. Spy Jr. Comics and guides to new games, toys and movies). "It's our devious plan to corrupt the minds of America's youth before they're old enough to realize how dumb we are," said Ficarra. The launch of MADKIDS will be supported by advertisements in various DC Comics' kids titles including The Batman Strikes, Teen Titans Go!, Justice League Unlimited, Scooby-Doo and Looney Tunes.

Article #2:

IN THE Grin-and-Share-It Department, DC Comics' Mad magazine will promote the core brand and new titles MadKids and Mad Classics with partners Nascar, Great Clips, Action Performance Cos. and White Castle.

For its flagship mag, Mad hits White Castle for an Aug. 15-Sept. 15 promo at 395 QSRs: mini-mags will go to those who buy a sack of 10 burgers. Subscription offers, posters and table tents support. October's Mad contains a free burger coupon. (Readers who don't live near a White Castle are instructed, "Then move.")

In November, Mad debuts MadKids for 611 year-olds, and partners with Action Performance Cos. and Great Clips for a national promo tied into its #38 car. It'll sport a MadKids logo and new Spy vs. Spy Jr. characters at an October race, while the debut issue gets distribution at 2,400 Great Clips hair salons. The magazine will also contain a coupon for haircuts. Ads in DC Comics (The Batman Strikes, Teen Titans Go! and Justice League Unlimited) will support.

MadKids is a starter mag to reel tweens into the Mad universe. "Mad's [prime audience] is males 12-24," said associate publisher David McKillips. "People think our readers are younger, but they hover around age 18."

On the lighter side . . . It's been a good year for the Usual Gang of Idiots. Mad's ad revenues are up 42% over 2004 and a Mountain Dew ad featured Spy vs. Spy, which was also licensed for an Xbox game. Mascot Alfred E. Neuman appeared at the Warped Music Tour, where banners featured a mohawked, pierced version of the perennial presidential hopeful.

Links to the original articles:
http://comicbookbin.com/news304.html
http://www.brandweek.com/bw/magazine/columns/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1001010666

What are your thoughts on this?
DFPyne7
UGOI Stalker

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow that exiting. Maybe that since that the kids have there own mad now, the adult mad will be a little more, well, adult.
NVK
MAD Reader

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cars

Last edited by NVK on Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
MADdict
MAD Addict

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no comics expert, but I seem to recall Marvel or DC taking a similar direction for some of their Superhero titles, but didn't last long. Can anyone shed more light on that?

That said, my 8 year old son has difficulty understanding some of MAD's more 'wordy' pieces, and most of the satire is of course lost on him, so this may be a good way to get kids into the magazine. I like DFP's thought that this may result in a more 'adult' magazine - even though it was well before my time, I particularly like MADs content from the late fifties and early sixties as it seems more focused toward adults than kids. If MADkids is going to be four times a year, maybe they could do something similar for those of us who left the 12-24 age bracket some years ago and produce a magazine with a mixture of new and old material with a more mature content?

Glad to see that there's a number of promotional campaigns to come - it should be interesting to see what impact this has on sales in the coming months...
canucklehead
UberHoser

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MAD Kids...man, I never thought I'd see the day...

But that's not to say that MAD can't make it work. Much of the current (and past) material fits the 6-12 demographic, so what the hell, why not give it a try.

And, as others have suggested, maybe that will leave the original MAD as a more adult magazine, especially since it's been heading in that direction over the past decade anyway.

"These are interesting times" as per the ancient Chinese curse...so let's see how it all shakes out.

Kejoriv
UGOI Stalker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool. I am going to have to make a trip to NYC so I can get some Mad White castle stuff!
Silly_Rabit
UGOI Stalker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Like the idea as long as Mad finally makes the regular mad more adult.

A ? i ask myself is why though. Havent we all suffered enough 03.gif

I personally thought that the regular mad was aimed at 10 -16.

Is it something the teens can read too, or is it just for kids?

Iam still wondering what type of humour they will use on that type of age range. Maybe more comic type articles less words

I dont know iam picturing a baby magazine for some reason. Hey mad you forgot ages 1 to 5 01.gif

Some people think stuttering is a curse but its like adding a drumroll to what you're about to say. Thats not a impediment, thats suspense folks - Demetri Martin
MADdict
MAD Addict

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another article on this topic - note the comment about MADkids "It will also contain activities, games, puzzles and reviews of children's movies." This 'Go Fetch' idea is spreading throughout the MAD empire..... Encouraging to see the comments about MADs readership being on the upswing, in an otherwise declining market.

Quote:
What - Mad Magazine worry?

No way! The magazine industry may be struggling, but Manhattan-based Mad, which has provided madcap satire to generations of readers, is expanding.

MadKids, geared to the 6- to 11-year-old set, is due out in November. Mad Classics, "the best of the worst," as the magazine's editors love to say, debuted in July.

Mad, first published in 1952 and best identified by its cover - a drawing of Alfred E. Neuman, the goofy-looking boy with a gap-tooth smile asking the question "What - Me Worry?" - is seeing a resurgence in its readership, possibly because of the popularity of such satirical television as "The Daily Show" with Jon Stewart, that rips into the establishment.

With the rise of such offbeat entertainment, Mad saw an opportunity to expand, David McKillips, the magazine's associate publisher, said in an interview yesterday.

"The time was right for us to build a publishing plan" that draws in youngsters and keeps them reading Mad for many years, McKillips said. "All of the baby boomers, or a little south of that, grew up on Mad Magazine. Now it's time for us as parents to incorporate the Mad brand to our kids. Mom and Dad will approve."

MadKids, which will appear on a quarterly basis, is different from anything the magazine has done in the past, McKillips said. It will offer a version of Mad's famous Spy vs. Spy feature, called Spy vs. Spy Jr.

It will also contain activities, games, puzzles and reviews of children's movies.

Mad Classics, which was first published last month and is to appear eight times a year, is a 100-page color magazine featuring the magazine's "best of the worst" in terms of spoofs of movies, television shows, political campaigns and satirical takes on national and international events.

Mad's circulation is about 350,000, McKillips said. Advertising revenues are up 42 percent over 2004 levels, according to Brandweek, an industry publication.

"I think they've had a really good year," said Becky Ebenkamp, Brandweek's entertainment editor.

With disenchantment with the war in Iraq growing and President George W. Bush's popularity dropping, "it's a great time for parody," she said.

Steve Borock, president of Comics Guaranty LLC, a Sarasota, Fla.-based company that appraises and authenticates magazines and other collectibles, said Mad has always had a special place in the American magazine industry, dating to its founding by publisher William Gaines and editor Harvey Kurtzman, who wanted to satirize popular newspaper comics and movies.

"It's smart satire," Borock said. "It changes with the times. It's always had a phenomenal way of looking at society."

And for Mad readers who have held onto the very first issue published in November 1952, there is a reward: that magazine is now worth $32,200, Borock said. It sold for 10 cents at the time.

Mad as ever

In a snappy answer to its rising revenues, Mad magazine is launching Mad Classics, a magazine to be published eight times a year, and MadKids, for 6- to 11-year-olds. Some facts about the venerable humor magazine:

First issue: October-November 1952

Latest issue: No. 457; cover story, "50 Worst Things About Video Games"

Greatest hits: Alfred E. Neuman; "Spy vs. Spy"; "The Lighter Side of ..."; the "fold-in," a parody of Playboy's foldout; "Snappy Answers to Stupid Questions"

Last major update: adding advertising in 2001

Editions also currently printed in: Germany, Brazil, Finland, Australia, South Africa, Hungary, India

Contributors have included: Charles Schulz, Richard Nixon, Chevy Chase, "Weird Al" Yankovic, Winona Ryder, Jimmy Kimmel, Jason Alexander, Steve Allen, Sid Caesar

In the news: Sen. Hillary Clinton drew some flak when she said last month, "I sometimes feel that Alfred E. Neuman is in charge in Washington." She described President Bush's approach to tough issues with Neuman's catchphrase: "What, me worry?"

SOURCE: WIKIPEDIA, D.C. COMICS
melvin_m_melvin
British UGOI

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, this...

Towards the end of MAD's British heyday, editor-publisher Ron regularly used to get requests from readers to bring MAD UK out EVERY WEEK!

Sounds dumb, but UK comics readers are (or possibly, were) used to "comic papers" which have a more tabloid format than US comic books and which were, indeed, published weekly.

(Former Editor D. Skinn worked in these, pre-MAD, on titles such as COR!, CHEEKY and VALIANT.)

Hence, a weekly MAD would have appealed to a younger readership, which is where the MAD KIDS idea ties in.

I began to think about front-page strips (UK comics have these) with surreal titles like 'Wilfred A. Neuman (Alfred E's younger brother)', and so on; and I've always thought Spy vs Spy would have mileage in Britain (but properly tailored -- possibly Clarke's version is closest).

So, there's a chink of hopeful light, here; although -- with the exception of the iconic Dandy and Beano -- most current Brit comics have TV or film links.

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MAD Mumblings Forum Index -> MAD Mumblings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: