MAD Mumblings MAD Mumblings
Extending MAD Magazine's presence on the World Wide Web.

Home :: Forum :: Gallery :: FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register

ASK FRANK JACOBS !
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21, 22, 23  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MAD Mumblings Forum Index -> UGOI Features and Interviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MinervaDoe
Forum Whore

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frank jacobs wrote:
Can you be more specific?

I've thought about writing a rhyming childrens book and a satire book. When I think about working with a publisher, I wonder what is a fair percentage for the author to get. I figure that it will vary by the demand for the author and probably starts out at -0.01% for novice authors.

frank jacobs
UGOI

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you're thinking about writing a book. How many times have I heard this. When you have something on paper, I'll be happy to give you some suggestions.
dragon
Clod

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Frank, A Down Under reader here. Loved your work over the years. What were your thoughts on US MAD being denied entry to Australian shores, whilst Australian MAD shamelessly ripped off US MADS parodys, and sliced in a few crappy pages of AUS content? That was the day that MAD died a little for me, and was one of the main reason my collection pretty much stops there. But it does go back to MAD # 24 tho!
frank jacobs
UGOI

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is news to me. I never heard about the embargo. If I get any information, I'll post it.
melvin_m_melvin
British UGOI

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

frank jacobs wrote:
So you're thinking about writing a book. How many times have I heard this. When you have something on paper, I'll be happy to give you some suggestions.

I sometimes hear people say: 'So and so has written his first novel. Isn't that fantastic?'

'Really -- who's their publlisher?'

'Oh, I don't think they've got a publisher.'

Errrrrrr

Dave

PS: Mind you, one of them did turn out to be Alex Garland, and the "on paper" novel was 'The Beach'!
melvin_m_melvin
British UGOI

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dragon wrote:
US MAD being denied entry to Australian shores, whilst Australian MAD etc. ...

If UK Mad is anything to go by, while a publisher holds the licence to distribute MAD in any one country (and clearly dependent on terms of contract) then anything sold in that country under the MAD name is supposed to go via that domestic publisher.

While Ron (see other threads) held the UK licence for MAD, US copies began to trickle through to comic shops like Gosh! in London. Ron balked at first, but came to an agreement whereby the shop would carry UK copies also. This suited me, as I was able to continue to buy parallel copies from both sides of the pond.

Regards
David
dragon
Clod

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

melvin_m_melvin wrote:
dragon wrote:
US MAD being denied entry to Australian shores, whilst Australian MAD etc. ...

If UK Mad is anything to go by, while a publisher holds the licence to distribute MAD in any one country (and clearly dependent on terms of contract) then anything sold in that country under the MAD name is supposed to go via that domestic publisher.

While Ron (see other threads) held the UK licence for MAD, US copies began to trickle through to comic shops like Gosh! in London. Ron balked at first, but came to an agreement whereby the shop would carry UK copies also. This suited me, as I was able to continue to buy parallel copies from both sides of the pond.

Regards
David

Thanks David, I did do that for a while, had friends from the US sending them over, but, like I mentioned, it was dissapointing to open up the latest AUS MAD, and have it rehash 90% last months US MAD!
art4mad
UGOI

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's my understanding that MAD licenses out the property like a franchise arrangement to publishers in foreign countries. The deal includes rights to use the MAD logo, MAD's general look and feel, Alfred, etc. It also includes a certain amount of the US magazine's content, and the right to include content of their own creation in their edition. The deal also includes MAD's agreement not to distribute the US version in that foreign country so as to give the publisher buying the licensing rights exclusive distribution of MAD, albeit their version.

I am sure there is more to it, and that their are different deals with different arrangements as well.

BTW, hello Frank!

Tom
melvin_m_melvin
British UGOI

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom
Well put, as usual, and the salient part is your line about US MAD, which may account for the embargo in Aus. waters.

Regarding "more to it", when US MAD put out a special in 1984 -- the so-named 'MAD 84' (a compilation of inventory material, as I recall, which Bill Gaines said was named after its 84 pages!) , there was some pressure from the US side for Ron to put this out in the UK.

Thus, some of the MAD 84 pages ended up in the '25 Years of British MAD' Brit special.

Dave
frank jacobs
UGOI

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't help much in this discussion. In the Glory Years, Bill Gaines allowed versions of MAD in other countries so long as any offspring reflected the tone and taste of its American forebearer. Gaines netted little from the foreign editions. "I have only one big market and that's the United States," he said. "Everything else is for fun."

Last edited by frank jacobs on Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:28 am; edited 1 time in total
dragon
Clod

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for clearing that up guys!
opsman666
Alpha Clod

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frank jacobs wrote:

Could I send possible a 1/4 completed satire of the Fox TV show "The War at home". Keep in mind that's it's being written by an 11 year-old with a sense of humor of a 40 year old black jack dealer at "Baldini's" (Why Scott likes my humor). If you say yes, then thanks in advance.

PS: Do MAD writers have to write intros to parodies' themselves?

Silly_Rabit
UGOI Stalker

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a stupid ? For Frank

Have you ever been published in other magazines, and what was it for?

Opsman - Baldini's - Scotts favourite place 08.gif

edit - I need to edit my work faster 03.gif

Some people think stuttering is a curse but its like adding a drumroll to what you're about to say. Thats not a impediment, thats suspense folks - Demetri Martin

Last edited by Silly_Rabit on Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
opsman666
Alpha Clod

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silly_Rabit wrote:

Opsman - Baldini's - Is that the club were lots of bald men named Scott go 01.gif

Having time on my hands, I found this... http://www.newsreview.com/reno/Content?oid=oid%3A23160

frank jacobs
UGOI

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="opsman666"]
frank jacobs wrote:

opsman666 wrote:
Could I send possible a 1/4 completed satire of the Fox TV show "The War at home". Keep in mind that's it's being written by an 11 year-old with a sense of humor of a 40 year old black jack dealer at "Baldini's" (Why Scott likes my humor). If you say yes, then thanks in advance.

Absolutely, and you just might get something other than the standard rejection slip.

opsman666 wrote:
PS: Do MAD writers have to write intros to parodies' themselves?.

Yes, and I usually hate doing them. During the Glory Years, most regular contributors felt the same way. For me, it was the only part of an article that I tried, almost always unsuccessfully, to avoid writing. I still feel that way.

Last edited by frank jacobs on Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:28 am; edited 3 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MAD Mumblings Forum Index -> UGOI Features and Interviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 3 of 23

Jump to: