MAD Mumblings MAD Mumblings
Extending MAD Magazine's presence on the World Wide Web.

Home :: Forum :: Gallery :: FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register

ASK FRANK JACOBS !
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22, 23  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MAD Mumblings Forum Index -> UGOI Features and Interviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
frank jacobs
UGOI

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry Siegel and I are contemporaries. Neither of us influenced the other. Thanks for asking
frank jacobs
UGOI

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squidy. I had a blast writing the eight different endings to the record. My (then) 7-year-old son went bananas over the mention of Darth Vader.
MADdict
MAD Addict

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank - how does it feel to be finally given 'the finger'? [Congratulations by the way!]

Quote:
Broome, Jacobs Named Finger Award Recipients

Quote:
Press Release

John Broome and Frank Jacobs have been selected to receive the 2009 Bill Finger Award for Excellence in Comic Book Writing. The choice made by a blue-ribbon committee chaired by writer-historian Mark Evanier was unanimous.

The Bill Finger Award was instituted in 2005 at the instigation of comic book legend Jerry Robinson.

"Each year, we select two writers who favored us with important, inspirational work that has somehow not quite received its rightful recognition," Evanier explains. "The idea is that the award may go some distance to rectifying that, and I sure hope this one does. Because no one is more deserving than Frank Jacobs, for his past and current work, and John Broome for the legacy he left behind."

Frank Jacobs was the first freelance writer hired by Al Feldstein when he assumed the editorship of MAD magazine in 1957, and his byline continues to appear in MAD more than 50 years later. More than 300 issues have featured his witty satires of movies and TV shows, but he is most famous as the magazine's poet laureate, filling its pages with his amazing poems and song parodies, many of which have drawn praise from the composers of the works he burlesques. MAD has published numerous original paperbacks of Jacobs’ work, and in 1972 he authored The MAD World of William M. Gaines, the definitive history of MAD and EC Comics.

John Broome began writing for science-fiction pulps in the early forties. When his agent, Julius Schwartz, left agenting to become a comic book editor, Broome followed. From 1946 through 1970, he wrote for DC Comics, mostly for books edited by Schwartz. His work included "The Justice Society of America" and "Detective Chimp," among other features, but his most notable scripts helped define the Silver Age of Comics with The Flash, Green Lantern, "The Atomic Knights," and "The Elongated Man." Broome passed away in 1999, only months after making the only comic book convention appearance of his life: at the 1998 Comic-Con International.

The Bill Finger Award honors the memory of William Finger (1914–1974), who was the first and, some say, most important writer of Batman. Many have called him the "unsung hero" of the character and have hailed his work not only on that iconic figure but on dozens of others, primarily for DC Comics.

In addition to Evanier, the selection committee consists of Charles Kochman (executive editor at Harry N. Abrams, book publisher), comic book writers Kurt Busiek and Tony Isabella, and writer/editor Marv Wolfman.

The 2009 awards are underwritten by Comic-Con International. DC Comics is the major sponsor; supporting sponsors are Comics Buyer's Guide (CBG) and Heritage Auctions.

The Finger Award is presented under the auspices of Comic-Con International: San Diego and is administered by Jackie Estrada. The awards will be presented during the Eisner Awards ceremony at this summer's Comic-Con on the evening of Friday, July 24, at the Hilton San Diego Bayfront.

More information about the Finger Award at: www.comic-con.org/cci/cci_finger.shtml

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/060919-Finger2009.html
frank jacobs
UGOI

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Maddict. Yes, it is true. I feel honored to be given The Finger.
melvin_m_melvin
British UGOI

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats, Frank. Lovin' it (almost as much as your work)

Dave
Noel Castleman
Clod

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frnak...it's Noel. Can we catch up? noel_castleman@yahoo.com
MAD Store.Com
Alpha Clod

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was posted in another place on this forum, but I moved it to "Ask Frank..."

Frank-
After years of looking, I found Issue 130, October '69 which had your feature "The MAD Book of Etiquette and Good Manners" which featured some table settings. Being from Ashland Nebraska I could never figure out why you chose our fine village and souvenir plate for your "Impressive Setting For a High-Class Formal Dinner."

Did you visit?
Sincerely
Bob Fricke
Ashland, NE.

The Mad Store.Com
Your Online Humor Source !
E-Mail: TheMADStore@aol.com

frank jacobs
UGOI

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob. Maybe it's because I was born and raised in Lincoln. I just as easily could have used Wahoo or Cozad.
I remain an ardent fan of the Cornhuskers. How does a 10-2
season sound, plus a BCS bowl game?
Best,
Frank
MAD Store.Com
Alpha Clod

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is video of Frank Jacobs' acceptance speech for the Bill Finger Award, presented to John Broome and Frank at this year's San Diego ComiCon. Love the Lee Morgan "Sidewinder" (its jazz, kids) intro and outro before and after Frank took the stage.

Part 1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbtBXyZ-smU

Part 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Miq0XMrSvNg

The Mad Store.Com
Your Online Humor Source !
E-Mail: TheMADStore@aol.com

Captomente
Clod

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:51 pm    Post subject: Greetings from Portugal Reply with quote

Hi there.

I'm 29, i'm portuguese, and i've been reading Mad Mag since i was 13, 14 years old! I first discovered Mad through the Brazilian edition and only years later i found out the the original magazine was american. The only place back then where i could find Mad Magazine (the original) was at a shopping mall in Lisbon, Portugal's capital and i, living 200 miles far, could only buy it when i needed to go to some doctor appointment or something like that... Some years ago i did subscribe to Mad and received it in my house for a couple years, until i married and had to move, so i stopped subscribing it.

Some days ago, i've found out some old Mad mags, the XL editions that featured some parts of The Mad World of William M. Gaines, written by Frank Jacobs, and i've read a couple of lines and it made me come googling for William Gaines and i've come across this Forum and i had to register and write this lines.

I just wanted to say that Mad mag walked with me, side by side, through my entire life, it gave an all different view of the world, how ridiculous one can be, without anyone noticing. I started to look at the "other side of life", the ironic side.

You have to imagine that my country, Portugal, was freed from a dictatorship as recent as 1974(!), and in 1990, there were still only 2(!) tv channels, for instance, not to mention the lack of comedy comic books, apart the brazilian translated Disney and Marvel comics.

So, when i found out Mad, not only it made me laugh, it made me compreend more how America and the World works and also improved my english, no doubt about it.

Well, i'm of now, to check out how much The Mad World of William M. Gaines costs in Amazon and maybe i'll order it. 10.gif
frank jacobs
UGOI

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Captomente. You've no idea how pleased I am to have receivedd your message. It made my day, maybe my week, even my month, possibly my year.
The story of MAD clearly means a lot to you. Your message does the same to me.
Thanks (I should say THANKS!)
Best wishes,
Frank
Captomente
Clod

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again!

I'm glad to hear that!

I just finished reading the 21 pages of this thread and now i have a better idea of who you really are! (I was never to good in remembering names)

Well, i got to say, thank you for your wonderful work at making MAD magazine and it is a privilege to be exchanging this words with someone who is part of MAD's history, a magazine that i devoured every time a got a chance to read it and that, big or small, i know it helped me making who i am now. Thank you, sir.

Now, i must say that, every time i got my hands on a new MAD, i had a secret hope of seeing a "MAD look at Portugal" by Aragones or something moking my country but, unfortunetly, it didn't happen. You mocked Spain, the brits, the french, the germans, but no portugueses. Can you put on a word to MAD people to make some jokes about us??? I can even give you a hint: make them call us a "province of Spain" and you'll get one angry portuguese! 03.gif

Kind regards, sir.

Rodrigo Luz (Captomente is just a nickname)
Natjackm92
MAD Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Frank,

Somehow this topic escaped my radar for the last three years but it's not everyday you get to talk to one of the Founding Idiots of MAD so here's my question. I apologize if it's been asked already.

Beginning since the magazine's creation and continuing today, MAD has always been known for its' classic attacks on Madison Avenue. One very memorable one in my mind is the back cover of #80, July 1963 in which you yourself strapped on a blonde wig and skirt for the Lady's Clinic Plastic Surgery piece. Did you have any other roles in MAD as a "live action" actor for those Lester Krauss/Irving Schild photographic bits?
frank jacobs
UGOI

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear NatJackm: Note that the full body shots are seen from the back. The editors used a lady with a great figure for those. But the face is indeed mine.
Then the editors wised up and realized that using my contorted pan most likely turned off much of MAD's readership, although I did gain notoriety on the dating circuit.
What am I doing these days? I've been busy aging.
All the best,
Frank
madcoversite
UGOI Stalker

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank,
Did you write the text for that ad?
Doug

http://www.madcoversite.com/mad080.html

My favorite punctuation device is ...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MAD Mumblings Forum Index -> UGOI Features and Interviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 21 of 23

Jump to: