MAD Mumblings MAD Mumblings
Extending MAD Magazine's presence on the World Wide Web.

Home :: Forum :: Gallery :: FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register

Dick Hanchette
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
madcoversite
UGOI Stalker

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:36 am    Post subject: Dick Hanchette Reply with quote

Dick Hanchette recently passed away. I never met the man, but I could tell he was a very giving spirit when he offered me a home on collectmad.com over a decade ago. He'd been in poor health for a number of years and let his Mad interests lapse. I'll always be in debt to him for exposing me to all that Mad garbage beyond the regular issues. I don't know what the status of collectmad.com will be now.
Rest In Peace Dick and http://collectmad.com/collectibles/

From the radio station website he worked at:

My favorite punctuation device is ...

Last edited by madcoversite on Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:25 am; edited 1 time in total
madtothebone
MAD Addict

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Although I only met Dick once, I will always remember him for his love of MAD Magazine. He was one hell of a collector, and was a fierce bidding competitor for MAD memorabilia on eBay (in the early days of eBay). As pictured on the collectmad.com website, his collection was huge, but so was his heart, and his love of MAD.

He will be missed.

Tim
THEMADBUG!
MAD Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy cow, that's terrible.

I had been wondering why Dick hadn't been updating his site with the Australian MAD covers I was sending him.

Seemed like a really nice guy.

RIP Dick.
madcoversite
UGOI Stalker

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the last correspondences with Dick I had involved transferring the international covers over to my site. It seems even more appropriate now in a way to honor him and continue the Madness. Fortunately, I have access to every single file on the collectmad domain. As I write this, I'm downloading all of it for safekeeping. I never talked to Dick or his family about the future plans for the site, but it scares me to think that it could fade away and be a memory with a few missed payments to the internet service provider. If it does disappear, I'll resurrect it in one form or another to keep his collection alive in the online world.
MADmag.de
MAD Reader

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very sad news about Dick...he was the first one I traded MAD stuff with, back in the time when I was 15 years old. I guess I sold him most of the German mags he had in his collection. He was a great collector, who introduced to me to the US MAD world...

May he rest in peace!!!

Maybe some of you realized that I have all of his images still on MADtrash.com. When I started with MADtrash.com, Dick gave me the permission to use all of his own stuff for my site. A couple of months ago, he sent me a CD-ROM with all the remaining images and informations he had! So, don't worry if the collectmad.com should go offline...all informations are saved on MADtrash.com. A lot of MAD fans help me currently to enrich the site with great informations.
I think Dick gave me the permission, cause he was impressed by the idea that all his images can be added with information dynamically on MADtrash.com.

@Doug: Like you I still have a FTP access account for collectmad.com (I made the collectmad.com/vivamad site for a long time). If you need some help with anything, just ask...

www.MADmag.de
MAD Store.Com
Alpha Clod

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dick was a semi-frequent customer of The MAD Store.Com. Whenever he would make a purchase, he would leave a humorous comment on my "MAD Store.Com Mumblings" page. Here are a few of those:

Shopping at The Mad Store.Com has been a great experience for me. Being an inmate at a federal pen and serving 6 consecutive life terms means you donít get out too often.

Dick Hanchette

http://www.collectmad.com

The Mad Store.Com is indeed MAD as I must be to waste my money there!

Dick Hanchette

Scott begged me to say something nice about The MAD Store.Com . After hearing him whine for 6 hours, I gave in. The Mad Store.Com is nice.

Dick Hanchette

Although I never met him in person, I always assumed that Dick was a hell of a nice guy. My deepest condolences to his family and freinds.

Rest in peace, Dick Hanchette.

The Mad Store.Com
Your Online Humor Source !
E-Mail: TheMADStore@aol.com

canucklehead
UberHoser

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My condolences to Dick's family and friends - what a shame to have to say goodbye to someone who was not only devoted to MAD but also to his job, as evidenced by the detail in the WJER tribute posted earlier in this thread.

I considered his collectmad.com site one of the most valuable resources available for MAD and its spinoffs and I am heartbroken to hear we have lost him, especially at such a young age.

Scotty Dog, thanks for reposting some of Dick's comments on MadStore.Com - I must admit I got a good giggle out of the last one, even as I was feeling sorry for Dick.

Thanks for everything, Mr. Hanchette - we'll miss you...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Ignatz
MAD Addict

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dick will be greatly missed in the MAD communtity

http://themadshoppe.x10host.com
MADdict
MAD Addict

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

God, what sad news.....

I remember 12 years or so ago when I finally bought my first 'proper' home computer, I connected to the intenet for the first time, searched for MAD and clicked onto Dicks site. My first proper web-site experience was Collect Mad! Like many others I traded often with Dick over the years, and his enthusiasm for collecting & trading MAD stuff fired my own imagination for the hobby. Dick always came across as a great guy, and although we had less contact as he drifted away from the hobby, it was always great to get an occassional email from Dick. My wife would often see Dicks name in our email inbox over the years, roll her eyes, and resign herself to the fact that I'd spend the rest of the day / weekend scanning covers or engrossed with other MAD matters!

Despite having much less space and disposable income as a result, it was great to have had a brief association wih Dick! The MAD scene is much worse off without him - my condolences to his family and close friends.
MAD Store.Com
Alpha Clod

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

canucklehead wrote:
Scotty Dog, thanks for reposting some of Dick's comments on MadStore.Com - I must admit I got a good giggle out of the last one, even as I was feeling sorry for Dick.

Dick Hanchette was funny. How he might have gotten that way by reading and collecting MAD remains a mystery (rimshot) .

The Mad Store.Com

melvin_m_melvin
British UGOI

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RIPDH

I concur with MADdict, above

Dave
madcoversite
UGOI Stalker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like collectmad.com may be officially gone when I checked this morning. Could be temporary, but I have my doubts. If anyone sees it resurrected, post a note.
madtothebone
MAD Addict

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed the same thing. I hope it's not permanent.
MAD Store.Com
Alpha Clod

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of CollectMAD.Com's skeletal remains appear to live on at "The Way Back Machine", located at Archive.Org.

As one who refers to CollectMAD.Com often (especially the MAD Paperback and Specials cover pages), I wouldn't be opposed to contributing to a shared yearly fund to keep it alive and kicking.

There must be some way to preserve Dick H.'s labor of love for all current and future MAD fans.

The Mad Store.Com

madcoversite
UGOI Stalker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As noted way above, I have all the images and "bones" as does MADmag.de.
I've thought of incorporating at least the specials and paperbacks into my own site somehow.
Another option I just thought of would be to put those bones onto my server and call it madcoversite.com/collectmad or something. That would keep Dick's original vision alive and kicking.

Thoughts?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MAD Mumblings Forum Index -> MAD Mumblings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: