MAD Mumblings MAD Mumblings
Extending MAD Magazine's presence on the World Wide Web.

Home :: Forum :: Gallery :: FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register

A Petition to Straighten the MAD Logo !
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
THEMADBUG!
MAD Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I whipped this up in Photoshop today. It shows the history of the MAD logo; how it's changed. I only included changes that lasted at least a few issues, so no one-offs. I kind of did this in a rush, so if I missed something, let me know.

Mark.

madcoversite
UGOI Stalker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work, Mark.
My favorite punctuation device is ...
madtothebone
MAD Addict

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a return to the old MAD logo, but with new art by the newer artists? Some of the old MAD logos had art by Harvey Kurtzman, Dave Berg, and Sergio Aragones (among others) drawn inside the MAD logo's letters. So how about the same idea, but with maybe Tom Richmond, Mark Frederickson, Ray Alma, Tom Bunk, John Caldwell, or Hermann Mejia?

Just a thought.
THEMADBUG!
MAD Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that's a great idea, Tim! I always loved the little drawings in the logo and I think the newer artists could have some fun with it.
billertl
MAD Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THEMADBUG! wrote:
I think that's a great idea, Tim! I always loved the little drawings in the logo and I think the newer artists could have some fun with it.
I think so, too. That would be awesome!
john e. hett
MAD Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:38 am    Post subject: Wow MAD Bug ! Reply with quote

Hey MAD Bug,
I thought I had a good eye for reading MAD between the lines! (See The Journal of MADness #1 article, "MAD in the Post Gaines Era".)
The straight - slanty - straight, "not that there's anything wrong with that" logo comparison is fantastic ! Is someone at MAD secretly, gradually putting the logo back in its proper position ? Get out your micrometers kids, we're in for a wild ride. Also, keep clicking that counter.

Yours in Erect MADness,
John E. Hett

P.S. If I ever qualify for a wish from the Make A Wish Foundation, it would be simple, a return to the classic MAD logo. Seriously.
john e. hett
MAD Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:46 am    Post subject: Tim's Idea Too Reply with quote

Yeah, what Tim said too.

A few nymphs in the "new" cooler erect logo.

MAD needs more nymphs.

Naked nymphs!

Sexy Nymphs!

Kurtzmanesque nymphs just like in the '50's.

Have Tom Bunk draw a nymph with an oozing zit! Now that's funny.

John
THEMADBUG!
MAD Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

You're right. It is like someone is secretly straightening the logo.

It seems that they made the logo slanted, realised it looked crap, so they straightened it a bit. Then a bit more. Why not go the whole nine yards and straighten it all the way up?

Mark.

By the way, the white subscription cover has the old MAD logo all over it...with the drawings inside the logo. Why on there and not the actual cover?
art4mad
UGOI

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool, Mark. Do you mind If I post that graphic on my blog and take full credit for it?

...Barring that, can I post it if I begrudgingly give you credit and link to this thread?

Tom
caseyk
MAD Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caseyk wrote:
I personally didn't mind the slanted logo...but it does seem a bit dated now since it was meant signify mad's "anticipation of the new millennium" which was ten years ago...I'm all for a change back to the classic MAD logo...when in rome, right?...it's about time the nations longest running humor mag returned to it's roots and stopped dumbin' it down for Generation Y and pandering to corporate America...

Thanks to whoever put together that logo comparison chart. Looking backat that and comparing it to this post I made months ago, it seems that MAD had gradually straightened its logo back out because at the new millennium approached they realized there was nothing to "anticipate." I have a feeling the logo will be back to its old straightened self in no time. 01.gif

THEMADBUG!
MAD Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure Tom, post away! Anything to help get back our beloved classic MAD logo.

Mark.
THEMADBUG!
MAD Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just hit five thousand views. We got anyone's attention yet!?
john e. hett
MAD Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:13 pm    Post subject: The Richmond Method and Other Logo Mumblings Reply with quote

A MAD Special Thanks to Tom Richmond!

Tom, thanks for going out on a limb and posting the MAD logos on your website and for giving a public shout out in support.

Just Wondering Dept:
There is value in the retro MAD logo. Simply look at recent licensing of the original logo to TV shows and a whole host of products. I am curious though, since the old logo has been licensed for so many other things could this keep MAD from actually using the original logo again? It may sound strange but it is kind of a catch-22.

The slant now represents MAD Magazine exclusively, not licensed products. The erect logo is now exclusively associated with the product or marketing arm. It's as if this variation on the branding would keep MAD from switching back. Just thinking out loud. Just thinking from a purely business standpoint. I hope that isn't the case.

Retro logo's and products are very popular and companies are capitalizing on them. Just look at Pepsi Co. marketing its throwback Mountain Dew and Pepsi. The retro Cap'n Crunch brands just jump off of the store shelves because they look like parents remember them as kids. Just look around and you see it everywhere. Come on MAD, take the plunge too! Remember, parents make up the largest segment of people who actually PURCHASE MAD. Where do you think the kids get the money? The erect logo really pops. Go ahead, remind the parents that it is still there. You won't regret it. Start a marketing campaign built around the restored logo. Get a little media coverage to go with the new cartoon. Now is the time to capitalize on every aspect of the MAD product. (Eee-yew! It hurt to say "MAD product".)

Don't think. Just act!

Yours in MAD-ness,
John E. Hett
john e. hett
MAD Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:15 pm    Post subject: "Zombies Rule Belgium" Reply with quote

Even flesh eating Zombies want the erect logo!
(Sorry, I just wanted something substantial on the top of the list.)
Hett
john e. hett
MAD Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:55 am    Post subject: People Promoting Products are a Downer! Reply with quote

Hey Group,
I second MADBUG's "bugger off" statement. The people pushing House DVD's and something called Big Bang Theory have no place on this list.
I encourage everyone to respond to other MAD related posts and drive these SPAMMERS to the bottom of the pile.

Yours in MADness,
John E. Hett
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MAD Mumblings Forum Index -> MAD Magazine All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: