MAD Mumblings MAD Mumblings
Extending MAD Magazine's presence on the World Wide Web.

Home :: Forum :: Gallery :: FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register

The open-office trend is DESTROYING the workplace.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MAD Mumblings Forum Index -> The Morning Trash Heap.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MinervaDoe
Forum Whore

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:21 pm    Post subject: The open-office trend is DESTROYING the workplace. Reply with quote

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/google-got-wrong-open-office-trend-destroying-workplace-glenn-harris

Google got it wrong. The open-office trend is DESTROYING the workplace. Workplaces need more walls, not fewer

Quote:
... employers are getting a false sense of improved productivity. A 2013 study found that many workers in open offices are frustrated by distractions that lead to poorer work performance. Nearly half of the surveyed workers in open offices said the lack of sound privacy was a significant problem for them and more than 30 percent complained about the lack of visual privacy. Meanwhile, “ease of interaction” with colleagues — the problem that open offices profess to fix — was cited as a problem by fewer than 10 percent of workers in any type of office setting.

Quote:
The New Yorker, in a review of research on this nouveau workplace design, determined that the benefits in building camaraderie simply mask the negative effects on work performance. While employees feel like they’re part of a laid-back, innovative enterprise, the environment ultimately damages workers’ attention spans, productivity, creative thinking, and satisfaction. Furthermore, a sense of privacy boosts job performance, while the opposite can cause feelings of helplessness.

Quote:
As the new space intended, I’ve formed interesting, unexpected bonds with my cohorts. But my personal performance at work has hit an all-time low. Each day, my associates and I are seated at a table staring at each other, having an ongoing 12-person conversation from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. It’s like being in middle school with a bunch of adults. ... As a result, I can only work effectively during times when no one else is around, or if I isolate myself in one of the small, constantly sought-after, glass-windowed meeting rooms around the perimeter.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MAD Mumblings Forum Index -> The Morning Trash Heap. All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: